It is estimated that there are over 12 million people who are unemployed in the country, with some of them being right here in the Rocklin and Sacramento areas. Yet small businesses around the state of California, and beyond, are crying foul. In a recent study, over 30 percent of small businesses polled reported they can’t find skilled workers to fill the job openings they have. Finding skilled workers may be a challenge for some, but it can still be done.
When most businesses have a job opening they throw a “help wanted” sign up in the window or place a classified ad in the paper. That may not be what it takes in today’s world to find skilled workers to fill those positions. Here are 5 ways that your business can use to find skilled workers:
- Referrals. If you already have some good skilled employees ask them to refer people they know who share those qualities. You may be pleasantly surprised at some of the people they refer for consideration.
- Recruiters. There are recruiters around the state and country who specialize in finding people with a particular set of skills. Paying them the fee to do the leg work may be worth it if they can find you someone that fits the bill. Plus, it frees up your time so that you can go on to doing other things.
- College campuses. Sure, the students there may not have the experience you are looking for, but that doesn’t mean they will be void of the skills you want. Many of them will enter your office with fresh ideas, and an attitude that will help them hit the ground running. Contact college resource centers, as well as their business department, directly.
- Senior centers. Yes, believe it or not you are going to find of lot of skilled talent in senior centers. Plus, research shows that millions of seniors desire to continue working into their retirement years. The skills and experience you are seeking may be playing bridge throughout the day, but is eager to get the opportunity to get back into the office.
- Consider training. Many businesses prefer to not have to put in the time training people who lack the skills. However, if there is someone that walks in through your door that is bright, positive minded and a quicker learner you may want to seize the opportunity. Skills are something people can learn, but the right attitude to start with may be harder to come by.
Many small businesses find it difficult in today’s world to find skilled workers. But whether you are in Rocklin, Sacramento, or elsewhere, you can find them. It’s just a matter of knowing where to look and not being afraid of casting your net wider. Go into the challenge with a positive mind and you will find the talent that you need to help make your business a success.
The Law Offices of Terry L. Gilbeau provides personalized counsel to clients in a variety of business and personal matters, including creditors’ rights, debt collection, products liability and international transaction issues. His office is located in Rocklin, CA, just outside of Sacramento, CA, near Roseville, Lincoln, Auburn, in Placer County and can be reached at (916-626-5539) or email Terry at email@example.com. Click here for the firm website http://www.gilbeaulaw.com/