If you have a business in the Rocklin or Sacramento area you may already know that you can gain some exposure by holding a giveaway. People love the chance to win something and it may also help spread your company name if they share the giveaway information with friends. But before you throw a prize out there to give away, there are some things you should consider first. Giving away prizes and holding giveaways and contests can be great for both businesses and customers. The customers find the idea of having a chance to win something exciting, while businesses can get a buzz going about their company. But you want to make sure that you protect yourself in order to help make it a successful giveaway. Here are a few tips on running a successful giveaway or contest:
- Determine what it is that will be given away. Stick with a product that will be safe, if possible, so that someone doesn’t come back later and try to hold you accountable for something that was faulty or recalled.
- Map out exactly how the contest will run. This includes how people will enter, how long it will run for, and how the winner will be chosen. All the details need to be determined before getting started.
- Create a list of rules that go with the contest. These rules will include what you have mapped out, as well as any restrictions (e.g., age requirements, that the winner must pay taxes, etc.). Cover yourself legally by including all the details, so there are no questions later on.
- Post the rules and run the contest. When it is over, pull the winner as planned, and be sure to announce the winner, and notify the person.
- When the winner comes to pick up the contest item, have them sign a copy of the rules. Keep one copy for yourself and give them one. That way there is a document showing what the rules were and that they signed off agreeing to them.
For smaller contests and giveaways you won’t have to worry so much about getting into any hot water. But if you are giving something significant away, such as if a Rocklin or Sacramento auto dealership were to give away a vehicle, you will want to make sure that everything is legal. This will help you avoid any problems later on. You can ensure that all the rules and the contest is legally set up and run by speaking to an attorney about it. Taking the time to do that, and following the tips above, can save you a lot in the long run!
The Law Offices of Terry L. Gilbeau provides personalized counsel to clients in a variety of business and personal matters, including creditors’ rights, debt collection, products liability and international transaction issues. His office is located in Rocklin, CA, just outside of Sacramento, CA, near Roseville, Lincoln, Auburn, in Placer County and can be reached at (916-626-5539) or email Terry at email@example.com. Click here for the firm website http://www.gilbeaulaw.com/